This is to be my final official blogpost for #elitclass. If I will continue blogging, we will just have to wait and see.
For our final blog entry we have been asked to participate in a netprov called “one-star reviews” where we create a character through a reddit account, and write a review stating we really like something about something which everyone else seems to really dislike. I have tried all week to find time for creating a character and find something to write my review about without success. The past week and the two upcoming weeks will be the busiest weeks of the semester for me, and therefore my time has gone to working on my own piece instead of contributing to someone else’s.
I have read through some of the rules and instructions for One-star Reviews and checked out the netprov itself. I wish I would have had time to check it out more closely and participate myself, but sadly no. I must say though that I find the project very interesting. Even when I go on sites online like TripAdvisor I kind of tend to to read the bad reviews before the good ones, so yeah – the topic of this netprov is interesting to me.
So, about my own elit piece…
Earlier this week, I run into a huge problem. My starting point of the story was gone, and instead the starting point was in the middle of my story with a loop at the end going back to the original beginning. It took me a long, long time to figure out. At one point I was ready to give up and start all over with the whole story. Honestly I was about to cry at this point because I have worked so much and so hard on this story.
Luckily, after some time, I managed to save the story and get back to how it was supposed to be. I am not sure if it is 100% how it was before, but if not then the changes are too small to really matter. What did I learn from this? Make sure the top of the page in Inklewriter says “saved” before signing out! Even though I am not sure if this is what caused my troubles, the page said “saving…” when I signed out and then when I signed back in later on everything was messed up.
I still haven’t fixed my issue when it comes to the layout where I wanted the lines of the poems on separate lines instead of being a regular paragraph – but honestly I have gotten used to the way it looks and it has definitely grown on me. Therefore fixing this will not be a priority to me anymore – if I end up having extra time towards the end (I highly doubt it) I might reconsider but for now I will ignore it.
I continue to make progress on my story. Most paths are still unfinished, but within another week or two I think most of those will be finished as well. I think the paths will have around 10-15 choices in total (depending on the path) and just as many poems. Most choices have two alternatives, but at some points the reader might only get one choice depending on previous decisions. So far I do not think any choices have more than two options, but different paths may get the same choices with different options than the other. Does that make sense? I hope it does.
When it comes to Inklewriter, I have gotten used to working with it and like it for the most part. However, I have not yet figured out how the if-statement function works – at the same time though I haven’t tried it that much because honestly I do not see it necessary for my project. It would possibly have made working on my story a bit easier, but then again I do not know if it would save me enough time for it to be worth the time it takes to figure out.
Another thing with Inklewriter is that when you get to a new page, you can write a new paragraph or use one you have already written for another path of the story. In my case, many of the paths at one point are at the same place in the story as another path and therefore I reuse the paragraphs often more than once. The problem with this I discovered was that I do not just copy-paste the paragraphs, but if I change one of them then all places the paragraph is in use will be changed too. This made it harder for me to have smaller changes to each path’s version of the same page.
Copy-pasting the old fashioned way is not easy with Inklewriter because you can only do it one paragraph at the time. This means that if you have several paragraphs you have to go back and forth between the two pages, which takes a lot of time once your story map gets up to a certain size.
One last thing I do not like about Inklewriter is the design. There is only one design to choose from, with no ways to customize it. Also the design makes the story look like a good old book, which kinda defeats the purpose of electronic literature – at least to me. Therefore I really hope Inklewriter gives the writer more designs to choose from in the future.
All in all though, I enjoy working with Inklewriter. For the most part it is simple and user-friendly. It somehow motivates me to work on my project because I can just work on my project without the hassle of having to figure out how to do everything. I did not need to watch tutorials on how it works – I just created an account and tried it out myself, figuring things out rather fast. Earlier in the semester I tried Twine just to see if it would be a tool I could be interested in working with, and let’s just say I did not try it out for more than a few minutes before having to search for tutorials.
I decided to work with Inklewriter, despite the limited possibilities of customisation, because it is just so much more user-friendly – at least in my opinion. I am not saying Twine is bad, I am just saying that to me Inklewriter is better to work with.
I guess that’s it for now.
Thank you for reading my blog!